I am always touting less is more. And it continues to be my motto in life. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about why great spaces are great, trying to study the elements, dissect them and articulate what works and why. And it has been the inspiration for this post. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do…
I thought we would begin with the simplest of simple; a great foyer with so few elements but the perfect ones: a study in less is more.
1. The armless sofa ends at the perfect spot against the staircase.
2. The garden boxwood adds architectural interest and round shape, while also bringing outdoors in and a whimsical touch.
3. Sofa fabric is ethnic and fresh but neutral and calming.
4. Rug is great flat weave texture and right shape, also adding ethnic subtle pattern.
5. The textiles and elements are casual against a could-be-formal backdrop of a dramatic paneled staircase.
Peter Dunham via House Beautiful>